Road trips can be fun and exciting with the family. It is a time for the family to bond, have interesting conversations and make unforgettable memories that will be cherished for a lifetime. However, it is most imperative to take certain precautions while travelling, especially when you have kids in the car. Here are small steps that will go a long way in keeping them and the family safe while in car.
- At the outset, get your car serviced and check for the condition of the tyres and the levels of oil and other fluids in the car. A car breakdown is certainly not anyone would wish for, especially with children in the car.
- Invest in a good quality car seat. Though it is not mandatory in India, it would be prudent to use car seats for children. More importantly, it should be installed correctly too. On numerous occasions, it has been found that though car seats are purchased, they are not installed in the right manner.
- All children below the age of thirteen should travel in the backseat of the car compulsorily even though the trip may be a very short one. Seatbelts are necessary for not only children but other passengers too.
- Teaching the children to behave while you are driving is also an integral part of car safety. Wild and reckless behaviour of the children distract drivers and many crashes are a result of this momentary distraction.
- Encourage children to read or draw while in the car or pack some fun-filled activity to occupy them fruitfully.
- Pack healthy snacks and drinks rather than buy junk food on the way. Not only does this save time and money, it also ensures that your children do not get hyperactive due to the high-energy levels induced due to the colas and burgers.
- Always carry a first-aid kit in the car. Make sure it contains necessary items and do a periodic review to remove expired medicines and ointments. Along with these, a torch or a towel also could come in handy.
- Use child-lock facility for the doors so that children do not fiddle with them. Same rule applies for the window locks too.
- Keep any unsecured items away in the boot. Even a small or tiny item can hit you or the children if left loose and can cause grave injury during a crash.
- As we drive, we also need to stay away from our smart phones. The cardinal rule is no texting or chatting while driving. A split second is all that is needed to cause a fatal crash.
- Never leave children alone in the car. It can sometimes cause heat strokes. Also, instruct your children never to play near cars. A driver who may be reversing the car may not realize that children are behind playing.
These are simple enough tips but are very likely to be overlooked. A few steps of caution will always stand in good stead. Our children are our biggest assets. Take care of them while in a car or otherwise and enjoy a life full of happiness.