The moment a new car rolls out of the showroom, it depreciates by almost 20%. Or that’s a common belief! However, there are certain categories of cars that do not abide by this rule. At the top of this category with cars that actually increase in value with age are vintage cars. Becoming more unique and desirable as they age, vintage cars ‘ value comes from the simple Economics principle of demand and supply!
Cars older than at least 3-4 decades are generally considered vintage, and worthy of being revived and customised. The undeniable charm in driving these stylish models is a dream for all car lovers. Whether it is an original Ford Mustang or a Fiat 500, investing in vintage cars is a smart decision. Here are our expert’s suggestions on 5 vintage cars that should be invested in.
- Original Fiat 500 – The price difference between this exquisite Italian classic model a few years back and today shows how much it is prized by its fans. Fiat 500 was launched in 1957 and marketed till 1975. A functional, cost-effective and dependable car with two-door saloon and two-door station wagon body design, the 500 is available in a range of 10,000 – 30,000 U.S. dollars.
- Porsche 911 – This captivating German model produced in 1963 is one of the world’s most wanted sports cars. Spacious enough to accommodate 4 people, it has retained its shape since its outset. 911 earned huge fan following back when it was launched owing to its versatility, speed, and air-cooled engines. The oldest versions are priced in a range of approx. 25,000 – 140,000 U.S. dollar.
- Jaguar E Type – Established as an icon of the motor world, this is a British Sportscar engineered by Jaguar from 1961 to 1975. Available in coupe or convertible, its combination of styling and high performance is what made it irresistible. As Enzo Ferrari said, it is one of the most fashionable cars with striking personality ever built. The E types that need renovation are available for around 20,000 U.S. dollars whereas some others fetch even more than a quarter-million.
- Ford Mustang – This vintage American car that starred in mega Hollywood movies is an economical sport coupe. 1964 saw it in the form of a convertible but early production models are referred to as 1964 ½ models. A truly classic piece easily identified with its prolonged hood, mini rear deck, performance, and sporty features, this is available from 10,000 – 300,000 U.S. dollars. The Mustang is the only original version to maintain an uninterrupted production for more than 5 decades.
- Mercedes SL500 – This grand touring model with the designation SL for Super Light was a true reflection of Mercedes’ brand philosophy. Created as a coupe with gullwing or upward-opening doors, this was a favourite of all with its charismatic appearance and fun quotient. The exclusive models with line and angle designs and powerful motors are worth more than 100,000 US dollars.